GOXI

sharing in governance of extractive industries

Welcome to the Environmental Governance Group of the Mining Sector Group (EGMS). Please introduce yourself to everyone else here and tell us why you joined! 

Please check out the FAQ Page for more information on how to navigate this group and how to contribute to discussions and add resources.  

Best, 

Jasmin Blessing, EGMS Community Manager 

Views: 976

Replies to This Discussion

Dear Juan,

Welcome to the Environmental Governance and Conflict Prevention Community of Practice! Juan is developing environmental consulting services for the Latin American region.

Juan, please introduce yourself to members of this group - tell us about yourself, your work and what you hope to accomplish in joining this Group. Thank you! 

Best,

Jasmin Blessing

Goxi Facilitator

Hi, everyone

I am a Venezuelan and environmental consultant, who is living in Costa Rica. It is a pleasure to be connect with all you. I have worked in environmental consulting in the Latin American region. I have experience in several oil and gas projects in Venezuela too. Four years ago, I found several opportunities to improve environmental performance of some oil and gas companies in the region as part of a research made in Colombia for my final thesis to obtain my master degree. I firmly think that the environmental governanza (EG) is key to anticipate conflicts related to the exploitation of natural resources. EG is specially required in Latin American region. I am glad to be sharing ideas and information with all you in this interesting group.

Best, 

Juan Andara

Dear Mqondisi,

Welcome to the Environmental Governance and Conflict Prevention Community of Practice! Mqondisi Environmental Economist who is based in South Africa. 

Mqondisi, please introduce yourself to members of this group - tell us about yourself, your work and what kind of information you would like to share in this group. Thank you! 

Best,

Jasmin Blessing

Goxi Facilitator

Hello everyone

I am pleased and honoured to be part of the Environmental Governance COP.

I am an independent Environmental Economist who is bases in South Africa. My work predominantly involves assisting local governments in environmental sustainability and local economic development through agriculture and extractive industries sectors. My country's local governments still struggle to engage meaningfully with mining companies and other medium-sized/large companies involved in exploiting natural resources for their businesses. This creates local tensions and sometimes distractive political unrests. Hence, I assist them in understanding and applying the legislative and policy frameworks which provide for social inclusion, environmental regulation compliance, and increasing local content for socioeconomic development. It is still a long way though to widely sustain impactful Social and Labour Plans (SLP) and to ensure effective community participation that can minimise potential conflicts.

I hope to share more of these relevant experiences with the group and also learn from other members' knowledge and experiences in dealing with such sustainability issues.

Best regards,

Mqondisi Makhanya

Dear Leonardo,

Welcome to the Environmental Governance and Conflict Prevention Community of Practice! Leonardo is a a lawyer and also an active blogger on Goxi.

Leonardo, please introduce yourself to members of this group - tell us about yourself, your work and blogs and what you hope to accomplish in joining this Group. It would be particularly interesting to hear about your experience at the PDAC conference as mentioned in your blog. Thank you! 

Best,

Jasmin Blessing

Goxi Moderator

Dear  Aissa,

Welcome to the Environmental Governance and Conflict Prevention Community of Practice! 

Aissa, please introduce yourself to members of this group - tell us about yourself, your work and what kind of information you would like to share in this group. Thank you! 

Best,

Jasmin Blessing

Goxi Facilitator

Hi everyone,

I am Juan David Gutiérrez, currently running the last mile of my PhD in public policy. My PhD research focuses on the subnational links between oil wealth and the armed conflict in Colombia. A few years ago I published a paper that may be interesting for those of you who work on post-conflict and peace-building: "Investing for Peace? On the Use of Resource Revenues to Finance an ...".

Looking forward to hearing from the rest,

Best wishes,

Juan David

Dear  Alice and Jessica,

Welcome to the Environmental Governance and Conflict Prevention Community of Practice! Alice is a Research Consultant based in London. Jessica is a Program Analyst at UNDP in Panama.

Alice and Jessica, please introduce yourself to members of this group - tell us about yourself, your work and what kind of information you would like to share in this group. Thank you! 

Best,

Jasmin Blessing

Goxi Facilitator

RSS

Conveners

GOXI Partners

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2018   Created by Kobina Aidoo.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service