GOXI

sharing in governance of extractive industries

Hi Arne, Keith, Peter

Can you invite some of the best brains you know to join us in our think tank? I will do the same. Once we have a critical mass we can use this space to launch a useful discussion.

Cheers,
Andrea

Views: 453

Replies to This Discussion

Hi everyone,

That sounds like a good start.

A short question that came to my mind: what would need to be added so that GOXI becomes the think tank we are looking for?

All the best

Arne
Hi there,

"Added"? I am not sure I understand the question. We are likely looking for many things from the think tank. I personally am looking for it to be a knowledge bank that I can tap when issues on contracting come up. Right now that is the extent of what I hope for it...And I view it as a project that will grow with needs as they come up.

Too optimistic?
Andrea

Arne H. Theissen said:
Hi everyone,

That sounds like a good start.

A short question that came to my mind: what would need to be added so that GOXI becomes the think tank we are looking for?

All the best

Arne
Hi,

sorry, I did not want to sound negative at all. It just came to my mind that we might be able to use goxi for it. I find it absolutely not too optimistic. The question aimed at specifying the idea and identifying synergies. It is absolutely not too optimistic.

Here is the link to the RWI Resource Center, which I find very useful: http://resources.revenuewatch.org/en

All the best Arne

It is absolutely not too optimistic.
Thanks Arne,

You did not sound negative. I just did not understand what you were asking. I was following the "let it flow" philosophy! So can you explain what you mean by "what needs to be 'added'? Thanks for the link.

A

Arne H. Theissen said:
Hi,

sorry, I did not want to sound negative at all. It just came to my mind that we might be able to use goxi for it. I find it absolutely not too optimistic. The question aimed at specifying the idea and identifying synergies. It is absolutely not too optimistic.

Here is the link to the RWI Resource Center, which I find very useful: http://resources.revenuewatch.org/en

All the best Arne

It is absolutely not too optimistic.
Hi Andrea,

I recalled our conversations about the idea of a think tank that was needed for Africa and how we circled around the idea. Reading your suggestion made me realize that GoXI in combination with the resource center might be the structure for the think tank that we were looking for. My question was aimed at identifying points, which would need to be added to goxi in order to fulfill the concept about the think tank.

Does that help? At the moment I do not know how better to explain it.

All the best

Arne
Hi Arne,
Gotcha. What we might do from here is open up a new discussion on this VTT regarding how to structure a TT for Africa and extractives. At the same time we can launch directly into substance as Sixtus suggested. If you like the idea, maybe you launch a new discussion asking the question? Then when we get a critical mass of interested folks we can engage on that topic??

A

Arne H. Theissen said:
Hi Andrea,

I recalled our conversations about the idea of a think tank that was needed for Africa and how we circled around the idea. Reading your suggestion made me realize that GoXI in combination with the resource center might be the structure for the think tank that we were looking for. My question was aimed at identifying points, which would need to be added to goxi in order to fulfill the concept about the think tank.

Does that help? At the moment I do not know how better to explain it.

All the best

Arne
Arne, Andrea,

The below link is a great introduction to papers around natural resources, by OxCarre, run by Tony Venables. You could run a very interesting course for a semester on 10 of these papers as the background reading. Many titles are very relevant towards our own discussions. From my side, it would be interesting to look at projections of populations, size of production in x years and then look at which public services could be improved or concentrated on. One big example is local content. Governments want to maximise local content and quick production. There is a trade-off there. Research looking at the favourability of production vs. number employed would help to examine which is the largest priority. There are also a number of ways to measure local content. Another very important discussion is around investment in other areas so that the economy doesn't become (too) centred on natural resource revenues and also helps cushion the boom/bust which happens with natural resources. Part of the creation of a virtual thinktank is hooking up with the various Africa programmes at major universities.
http://www.oxcarre.ox.ac.uk/index.php/Research-Papers/research-pape...

Richard
All,

Following up our discussion, it may be useful to get in touch with these Norwegians regarding capacity building for thinktanks in the Caucasus and Central Asia. I realise that it's not our regional focus, but perhaps something to learn from. You have the Norwegian Foreign Ministry involved and with their EITI/Pension Fund angle, they may support theaddition of the extractive industries.

GRANT- Regional Competence Building for Think Tanks, S. Caucasus & Central Asia

Posted by: Elana Wilson Rowe

NUPI - Norwegian Institute of International Affairs PO Box 8159, Dep.N-0033 Oslo NORWAY

Call for Applications

The Norwegian Institute of International Affairs (www.nupi.no) is pleased to announce a project supported by the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs: Regional Competence Building for Think Tanks in the South Caucasus and Central Asia.

The aim of the project is to further strengthen the capacity of regional think tanks to operate as arenas for rigorous and independent analysis and to participate in political debate (both domestically and internationally). The project will sponsor selected researchers'
participation in two training/networking events and will award research grants (25,000 NOK) to selected researchers.

The project includes an advanced training workshop in Almaty (21-24 October 2010) and a concluding 2-day seminar in March 2011 (exact dates to be confirmed). Participation in the workshops is mandatory.
Please do not apply this year if foreseeable work or personal commitments may prevent you from attending the Almaty workshop.

The research grant is to be used to carry out conceptually and methodologically rigorous research on a proposed topic related to policy challenges facing participants' home countries (including but not limited to: governance, poverty, effects of globalization on countries in the region, energy issues, regional cooperation, foreign policy). Projects dealing with domestic issues are strongly encouraged although topics relating to international politics may also be considered. We encourage applicants to design research projects that will provide new empirical data and policy-relevant insights.

Selected applicants must submit the results of this research in a 15-20-page policy report (in English or Russian) to the project organizers by 24 January 2011 for peer-review. Revised reports must be publicized in individual countries by participating think tanks during February 2011.

The project will involve up to 28 project participants from Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan. We strongly encourage female researchers to apply.
Selection will be based purely on the quality and merit of the proposed research and the credentials of the applicant. Applicants should have at least a master's degree or equivalent.

To apply for the project, individual researchers should fill out the application form (below) in either English or Russian. Application materials should be sent as one integrated word or pdf document (including a one-page CV). The entire application must not exceed three pages.

All applications submitted by 14 July 2010 will be considered. Late applications and applications longer than three pages will not be considered.

Applications and any queries as well as all project related correspondence should be sent to NUPI at thinktanks@nupi.no.

Application forms are also downloadable from:
http://english.nupi.no/Virksomheten/Forskningsprosjekter/Regional-Comp
etence-Building-for-Think-Tanks-in-the-South-Caucasus-and-Central-Asia
All, stumbled on this as part of reading for some work around transparency in West Africa. It sounds like it exists - the question is how to tap into this. www.cseaafrica.org

THINK TANK INITIATIVE (TTI)

CSEA receives support under the Think Tank Initiative (TTI), a wide-ranging multi-donor support initiative for think-tanks in developing countries, funded by the Canadian International Development Research Centre (IDRC), and the William and Flora Hewlett and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundations. CSEA is one of 24 think tanks in Africa to qualify under the TTI out of some 300 applicants.

The IDRC grant support to CSEA under the TTI (Think Tank Initiative) is instrumental in placing the think tank on a sustainable path and in facilitating its transformation from a “start-up” to a viable center of policy research.
@Richard: Franklin Cudjoe and Bright Simons from IMANI Ghana, a think tank, have joined GOXI. I will ask them to join in this conversation.

Richard Dion said:
All, stumbled on this as part of reading for some work around transparency in West Africa. It sounds like it exists - the question is how to tap into this. www.cseaafrica.org

THINK TANK INITIATIVE (TTI)

CSEA receives support under the Think Tank Initiative (TTI), a wide-ranging multi-donor support initiative for think-tanks in developing countries, funded by the Canadian International Development Research Centre (IDRC), and the William and Flora Hewlett and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundations. CSEA is one of 24 think tanks in Africa to qualify under the TTI out of some 300 applicants.

The IDRC grant support to CSEA under the TTI (Think Tank Initiative) is instrumental in placing the think tank on a sustainable path and in facilitating its transformation from a “start-up” to a viable center of policy research.

RSS

Conveners

GOXI Partners

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2018   Created by Kobina Aidoo.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service