TITLE: Communications Advisor– Extractive Industries
LOCATION: Washington, DC
DEPARTMENT: Media and Public Relations
STATUS: Fixed term position for duration of two years
REPORTS TO: Policy and Campaigns Media Manager, matrix reporting to Global Extractives Program Director
COORDINATES WITH: Extractives Industries Global Program Team, Press Officers in the US and around the world, Media and Public Relations Director, Oxfam International Head of Media, US Public engagement team, various vendors and freelancers.
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
To create, coordinate, and implement communications and media strategies to raise the public profile and further the advocacy objectives of Oxfam’s efforts on reform of the extractive industries in the United States and around the world.
- Generate regular, strategic, high-quality US media coverage of Oxfam America’s extractive industries advocacy initiatives through sophisticated proactive and reactive media work.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key US journalists in print, broadcast and digital media.
- Write and develop press releases, op-ed pieces, blogs, and official statements for media outlets and blogs for Oxfam America and other affiliates; coordinate press conferences, events, and other related work.
- Create media strategies in close collaboration with campaign leads and with the Policy and Campaigns Media Manager to ensure that all media work is integrated to support broad Oxfam America communications plan that expands the public profile and impact of Oxfam in the United States.
- Develop and facilitate media interviews for Oxfam spokespeople.
- Work closely with members of the Digital Engagement team to brainstorm and implement creative, multi-platform media offerings.
- Support Oxfam country staff in creating communications strategies, pitches, and other supporting materials.
- Provide media trainings and help build the capacity of country staff working on extractive issues.
- Coordinate closely with Oxfam's US Public Engagement Team, as well as Oxfam International's Communications team.
- Monitor general and specialized media for stories from around the globe that are relevant to the extractives program and keep the global program team informed of relevant media stories.
- Support cross-national and cross-regional coordination and learning on extractives communications work by Oxfam country programs.
- Coordinate closely with affiliate and in-country content teams to develop materials and strategies to promote consistent and compelling extractives messaging.
- Document and evaluate effectiveness of communications products and strategies.
- Serve as core member of Oxfam Extractive Industries Global Program.
EXPECTATIONS FOR THE POSITION:
- S/he will stay abreast of professional standards, trends and issues affecting this set of responsibilities, demonstrating continuous learning of the field.
- S/he will work effectively and collaboratively in support of building a team-based culture of work, will perform all duties appropriately for a multi-cultural environment, treating all persons with dignity and respect, and will be familiar with and committed to Oxfam America mission and goals.
- S/he will have an ability and eagerness to travel extensively internationally.
- S/he will have an understanding of gender equity and diversity within key areas of responsibility and a commitment to promoting gender equity and diversity in our workplace and programs.
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications or related field, or equivalent combination of education, experience, and training.
Experience and Core Competencies:
- Three to five years of experience in public relations field, ideally specializing in the promotion of advocacy campaigns.
- Proven ability to persuade by the written and spoken word. Substantial knowledge and proven success with print and electronic media essential.
- Demonstrated interest in international transparency and inequality issues, and in the banking and extractive sectors.
- Ability to effectively represent OxfamAmerica and all Oxfam affiliates to the public.
- Knowledge of electronic communications media and other new technology.
- Demonstrated skills in media relations and writing for both the general public and policy makers.
- Interest in and experience with multi-platform communications campaigns.
- Commitment to the goals of Oxfam’s policy initiatives, development work overseas and educational role in the United States.
- The ability and experience to balance multiple demands and deadlines with composure.
- Demonstrated ability to serve as public spokesperson with media and large audiences.
- A positive attitude and eagerness to work in a collaborative team environment.
- Knowledge of the fields of extractive Industries, international development, transparency and human rights.
- Advocacy communications or international development policy background or expertise.
- Ability to communicate in Spanish and/or French.
Click here to apply.