sharing in governance of extractive industries
The Dragonfly Initiative is looking for a smart, curious, analytical individual to fill an initial one-year contract with high likelihood of conversion to a full-time position, starting immediately.
This is a chance to work with and learn from a very experienced team and contribute to several fascinating, influential and potentially ground-breaking projects in Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR), supply chain risk management, and impact investing.
TDI’s offices are located near Cirencester, Gloucestershire, UK and currently reviewing options for offices in Bristol. We have a policy to accommodate remote, flexible and autonomous working arrangements in return for a commitment to extremely high quality deliverables, working to fulfil project goals, and consistently meeting deadlines. Where the candidate is located is less important than his or her professional ability, commitment and personal energy.
The Dragonfly Initiative
The Dragonfly Initiative (TDI) is an advisory firm with an ‘agenda’: we aim to show that the businesses in the natural resource, precious metals and gemstones supply chains – from production to retail, site to shelf, mine to market – can create long-term value and make a positive difference in people’s lives.
The Dragonfly Initiative combines our business consulting expertise, technical knowledge, value chain focus and sustainability mission to solve complex problems and develop lasting solutions for our clients.
We have a track record that includes working with the world’s biggest companies and most recognizable brands, as well as lesser-known middle-of-the-chain businesses and innovative social enterprises. Our projects include building ESG management systems for investors; the design and application of supply chain due diligence tools and procedures; completing project level non-technical risk assessments and provision of subject matter expertise for sustainability audits; the development of commercialisation strategy for green products and services; and, convening, managing and facilitating multi-company and cross-sector initiatives and summits.
TDI is seeking an accomplished professional with interest and experience across the areas of social responsibility, human rights, natural resource management, sustainable development. The successful candidate should be educated to degree level in a relevant discipline with related experience. The Consultant will report to TDI’s Director, and work closely with other TDI team members.
Your main responsibilities will include the following:
• research assignments, analyses, technical writing tasks;
• development of management and due diligence tools and presentational materials;
• support TDI’s team to complete site-assessments and due diligence for the firm’s clients;
• drafting and benchmarking of sustainability standards;
• project and client management.
Everyone that works in our team speaks directly with our clients, which means that strong written and verbal communications are a requisite, as well as confidence in dealing with people at different management levels and working in a range of institutional settings: companies, NGOs, government agencies. Research and data analysis are a key part of this role; being comfortable with basic numeracy and spreadsheets is important. Similarly, logic and reasoning skills are a must to tackle problems successfully. The successful candidate should have excellent project management, prioritisation and planning skills.
We are a small team, the members of which work remotely and travel frequently. The individual will need to be happy working autonomously, managing their own time, prioritising work-load, thinking on their feet, taking the initiative to ask questions and find solutions to problems.
Qualifications and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree (2:1 or above) in a relevant topic area, international development, environmental management, natural resource management, human rights. Master’s degree or M.B.A. preferred
• Minimum of 5 years’ relevant professional work experience; work with multinational companies or in a consulting environment preferred
• Rigour and attention to detail: appetite for thoroughness, thoughtfulness and precision in all things
• Research and analysis: experience in the completion of qualitative and quantitative desk-based research; instinct for investigative intelligence gathering; talent for analysing and organizing data
• Excellent writing skills: concise, precise and clear (a writing sample and writing task will be requested); clear ability to synthesize, summarise and ‘get to the point’; aptitude for technical writing – presenting complex technical concepts clearly and simply
• Presentation: proven ability to present data, information and recommendations on written form and using charts, graphs, images and other visual aids; good verbal presentational skills an advantage, but potential more important than track record
• Project management: talent for organization, planning, and engaging with people
• Consulting skills: listening, framing, negotiation and contracting.
• Knowledge of, or experience in, one or more industries preferred. (e.g., mining and mineral industry, electronics, automotive, energy sector, conflict minerals, food and agriculture, fashion and apparel, and fragrances)
• Familiarity with voluntary standards, certification schemes and initiatives and the ability to critique and improve best-practice frameworks and assurance systems;
• Language skills: Excellent English-language proficiency essential; Spanish, French and/or Chinese an advantage.
• Software: fluent in PowerPoint, Excel, Word and Outlook.
• Social media: working familiarity with LinkedIn, Facebook, and Twitter.
What we can offer you
•A contract for 40 hours per week, initially for one year, with prospects for extension.
•An attractive salary, commensurate with experience.
• Diverse, exciting and impactful work.
• Travel: 10-20 %
• Being part of a dynamic and experienced international team who are passionate about and committed to sustainability, human rights and social change.
• Possibility to work remotely at a chosen location, US based candidates preferred.
Unfortunately, we cannot support work visa applications so you must have permission to work in the country where you intend to work when you apply.
Please send resume / CV with introductory letter and writing sample to Assheton Carter at email@example.com. All applications will be reviewed until the position has been filled.
Last updated by Norma Garza Jun 20.