Please submit applications to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting competition number PSE1116 in the subject line of email.
Oxfam Canada (OC) is an international development agency with a focus on women’s rights and gender equality, committed to building lasting solutions to global poverty and injustice by advocating for fundamental social change. We work in relationships of solidarity and partnership to build the capacity of civil society in the Global South. As a founding member of Oxfam International, Oxfam Canada works in collaboration with other Oxfam affiliates to increase impact and influence locally, nationally and globally.
SCOPE OF POSITION:
The Policy Specialist is knowledgeable about the Extractive Industry (EI), has a proven track record working on EI-related research, policy and advocacy, and is committed to social justice. The Policy Specialist has specific expertise and commitment to advancing women’s rights and gender equality.
This Ottawa-based position will work within the Policy Unit of Oxfam Canada’s Policy and Campaigns Department, and as part of Oxfam’s Extractive Industries Global Program The Policy Specialist is responsible for advancing Oxfam’s advocacy and influencing agenda on the extractive industries in the Canadian context, working closely with Oxfam country teams, partners and allies.
The goals of Oxfam’s global influencing on the extractive industry are as follows:
- Governments and companies increase financial transparency and pro-poor accountability for EI revenue generation and expenditure
- Gender justice becomes a central issue in global EI reform efforts, and women’s rights are more progressively realized within the EI sector
- Companies respect and governments protect civil society space and the human rights of communities impacted by EI operations
- Governments and companies adopt and implement laws and policies respecting free, prior and informed consent
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES: (This is not an exhaustive list of duties to be performed)
With a specific focus on women’s rights and gender equality, the Policy Specialist:
- Develops policy and advocacy strategies and plans;
- Convenes, implements and facilitates policy and advocacy initiatives, drawing on expertise within Oxfam Canada and the Oxfam global confederation;
- Serves as primary subject matter expert on EI at Oxfam Canada, and serves as the main interface for the Oxfam global confederation on EI issues that pertain to Canada;
- Represents Oxfam in policy and advocacy forums as well as in the media;
- Provides strategic advice to the senior management team of Oxfam Canada on EI-related policy and advocacy issues, including risk management; and
- Develops relationships with key elected officials, senior government staff, and Canadian EI companies to effectively advocate for Oxfam policy objectives.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE & COMPETENCIES:
- Master’s degree in Political Science, International Relations or equivalent education and experience;
- Minimum of seven years in a comparable position and experience in the not-for-profit sector;
- Experience in policy advocacy and/or campaign work around women’s rights or gender equality
- Commitment to Oxfam’s mission and strategic focus on women’s rights and gender justice;
- Content and policy expertise related to the extractive industries, and proven track record working on EI-related research, policy and advocacy;
- Knowledge of the Canadian policy landscape and opportunities for influence;
- Proven track record in developing and implementing policy and advocacy strategies and plans;
- Experience with campaigning on national and global issues;
- Experience in coordinating government advocacy for NGOs;
- Experience in building networks, coalitions and alliances to support policy and advocacy objectives;
- Experience with policy and advocacy vis-à-vis the private sector
- Demonstrated strong writing and editing skills, especially the capacity to develop policy and advocacy materials (correspondence with government and company officials and decision-makers, policy papers, briefing notes, discussion papers, submissions to government consultations);
- Ability to convey complex ideas in plain language to varied audiences;
- Ability to troubleshoot and anticipate challenges, and effectively and efficiently handle multiple, simultaneous, and complex tasks and projects;
- Capacity to develop expertise in new issue areas;
- French and Spanish language skills a strong asset
This position offers a comprehensive Benefits package.
We thank all those who apply, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Oxfam Canada practices employment equity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates.