- Application by:
- Project status:
- Country: Germany
- Duty station:
- Job code:
GFA Consulting Group is one of the leading German consulting companies within the framework of international development cooperation. Our core business is providing consulting services as well as managing projects financed through bilateral and multilateral funds. Since 1982, GFA has been active in more than 130 countries. Over the years, the company has continuously expanded the scope of its work which currently includes ten strategic business areas. In the area of Natural Resources Management in our Africa Department we focus on consultancy services related to protected area and national park management, biodiversity and sustainable forest management as well as institutional development and good governance in the forest sector.
For our head office in Hamburg/Germany, we are currently looking for an open-minded and versatile Consultant (m/f) to join our Natural Resource Management team in the Africa Department.
The consultant will be responsible working in the entire Sub-Saharan Region for conservation and natural resource management projects, with the main tasks of project management, acquisition and strategic business development. Desk work is combined with regular field trips and partner visits in the project regions, as well as direct exchange with donors (e.g. GIZ, KfW).
We are looking for an enthusiastic and communicative, experienced colleague, who is willing and able to integrate his/her abilities, networks and dedication in the different projects on natural resource management to actively protect biodiversity and natural resources on all its levels e.g. through the collaboration with national authorities to improve the management of protected areas.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Project Management (implementation management/financial and technical administration, monitoring and evaluation of projects and studies, contract management, etc) with a focus on conservation/protected area management, including Backstopping missions to the projects, often in National Parks, often in remote and security relevant contexts;
- Elaboration and coordination of technical and financial proposals in response to donor tenders, including identification of new projects and related fact-finding missions;
- Conducting technical short-term consultancy missions in Africa including participation in feasibility and project preparatory studies, often in remote and security relevant contexts;
- Elaboration of concepts, presentations and contribution to knowledge and quality management, including GFA publications (journal articles, presentations);
- Development of own technical competence in the field of natural resource and national park management through training on the job, conducting of short term missions and technical proposals preparation;
- Establishment of good relationships with donor agencies (GIZ, KfW, EU, etc.), beneficiaries, partner companies and individual experts;
- Supporting on-the-job-training of our Young-Professionals.
- University Degree (MSc., Eng., or PhD) in Tropical Ecology, Conservation, Forestry, Development Economics, Geography, Sustainable Development or related topics;
- Minimum 5 years relevant working experience in the context of development cooperation and natural resources management;
- Familiarity with the German (GIZ, KfW) development institutions and a well-founded understanding of the strategies and programmes of relevant donor agencies is an asset;
- Familiarity with project planning and evaluation methods;
- Experience in tender processes according to international standards is an asset;
- Working experience in developing countries, preferably Africa, is an asset
- Proven ability and willingness to travel extensively to the countries in the region;
- Full proficiency in English, French and/or Portuguese; working knowledge of German is necessary;
- Strong skills in writing and presentation and advanced proficiency in standard MS Office applications;
- Other skills: respectful communication skills, dedicated for conservation, transdisciplinary work experience, responsible acting, pragmatism, improvisation skills, stress resistance and team player.
GFA offers a future-oriented work place in a multicultural team with a strong orientation on values and the joint aim to provide the best solutions for our clients and partners in the developing world. Career development in GFA is actively promoted and includes opportunities to engage in long-term project work abroad.
Interested candidates should send their complete application (motivation letter, CV, work references / certificates) by email to:
Heike Mainusch firstname.lastname@example.org
The original job advert can be found here: