For our operations in Germany/Bonn, we are looking for an
Intern on new technologies in extractive governance
Field of activity
We are seeking to recruit an intern for a period of 3-6 months to join our team in Bonn.
Can 3D-printing increase local content in extractive value chains? Can artificial intelligence help identify conflicts around large-scale mining sites before they erupt? Can blockchain help certify responsibly mined minerals? Can gamification deepen civil society’s understanding of extractive governance? Can low-cost remote sensing help compliance monitoring in mining areas? Intrigued? Apply!
We are a young team of 10 that works on various aspects of extractive governance, with the overall goal to make the mining sector work for the many, not the few. To find out more visit http://www.bmz.de/rue/en/index.html
Our mandate is to advise the Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), identify and promote best practices as well a pilot new approaches in extractive governance. The team that pilots new approaches is currently undertaking a scoping of how modern technologies can be used to improve extractive governance – you would be working with this team.
What we have to offer
- Work with and learn from highly motivated and cooperatively minded colleagues
- Develop an expertise in extractive sector governance and the use of modern technology in development cooperation
- Insights into how German development cooperation works
- Chance to build a network within GIZ and in the tech-scene
- Competitive intern-stipend
- Build expertise in potential applications of modern technology in extractive governance
- Compose briefings and give presentations to communicate tech-related content to a lay audience
- Support writing of terms of reference for an external study on the potential for modern technology to improve extractive governance; support backstopping of external partner/s during the production of the study
- Support design and implementation of pilot projects in cooperation with external partners
- Flexibly support team members and project management on tasks that arise in a fast moving environment
- Ability to quickly absorb and structure complex information
- Good working knowledge of modern technologies
- Deeper knowledge of one or more of the following technologies and their applications: 3D-printing/added manufacturing, blockchain/tangle, artificial intelligence, remote sensing/GIS
- Intrinsic motivation to tackle poverty through innovative approaches and ambition to strengthen the interface between development cooperation and the digital age
- Good team player
- Innovative mindset
- Working knowledge of English; excellent knowledge of either German or English (or both) in writing and speaking
- Currently enrolled as a student (or similar status) or last degree not longer than six month ago
- Knowledge of the extractive sector, particularly mining
- Experience and contacts with tech startups / tech social enterprises
- Experience with design thinking
- Working knowledge of German
01.09.2017 - 30.11.2017 (with the possibility to extend the internship for three months)
Payment for interns is 1,520 € (gross) per month.
Please be informed that you are only allowed to apply for this internship, if you are currently enrolled as a student or graduated not longer than six months ago.
GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disability, both in Germany and abroad. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.
For further information, please contact Ms. Kaiser-Tedesco (email@example.com).
If we caught your interest, we are looking forward to your application until 08 August 2017.
Please apply through GIZ website only: