Head of Research
Responsible Mining Foundation
The aim of the Responsible Mining Foundation(RMF) is to help translate the full potential of minerals and metals mining topositively benefit the economies, improve the lives of people, and respect the environment of the producing countries, particularly in some of the world’s poorest regions. In April this year, RMF published the first global Responsible Mining Index, an evidence-‐ based assessment of 30 large, globally dispersed mining companies on key economic, environmental, social and governance (EESG) issues. RMF will continue to produce a global Responsible Mining Index (RMI) on a biennial basis, as well as other studies and relevant analyses, all with a focus to encourage continuous improvement in responsible mining.
The Head of Research acts as the lead content, analysis and output holder for the Responsible Mining Foundation and works in collaboration with the Executive Team and in coordination with external experts and service providers to design methodology frameworks, plan and oversee research activities of the Foundation, produce reports and other communications products on the research results, and support the use of the research results by a wide range of stakeholders.The position forms part of the Executive Team.
Activities and Responsibility
- Development/review and implementation of methodology frameworks including for the global Responsible Mining Index and other research projects of RMF.
- Oversee and lead the research and analysis work of RMF.
- Plan, budget and manage the research cycle including management of work of internal research team and of external consultants to maintain timeliness of deliverables.
- Consult on methodology with external experts, stakeholders, andRMF’s Expert Review Committee and engage with stakeholders on RMF research results in various contexts.
- Lead the team of internal researchers including team development and mentoring.
- Co-‐ordinate the work of external consultants and service providers related to research activities.
- Develop the internal research capacity and content expertise.
- Foster a high-‐performance culture and a rigorous and impartial approach to research work.
- Plan and manage production of research-‐related publications, in collaboration with the communications function.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the methodologies and research processes used and recommend any adjustments for future research activities.
- Identify opportunities to enhance the leverage capacity and outcomes of the Index in line with its purpose to encourage continuous improvement in responsible mining.
- Support external representation of RMF at conferences, media briefings, and similar fora.
- Maintain familiarity with other indices and developments in theresearch field and trends in the management of EESG issues in the mining sector.
- Knowledge of the mining industry, stakeholder dynamics, and expectations of society regarding economic, environmental, social and governance issues.
- Respected researcher with demonstrated understanding of methodology and analytical research approaches.
- Qualitative and quantitative proficiency.
- Appreciate the need for analytical rigour and irreproachable impartiality.
- Inquiring and independent thinker who can convert complex data into useful explanatory concepts and compelling narratives.
- Proven project management and team leadership.
- Work effectively in teams in a collaborative and cooperative spirit.
- Experience in and appreciation for how research grounded in interdisciplinary collaboration and mixed methods can more meaningfully impact systems outcomes.
- Editorial judgment and proven ability to communicate research methodology and survey results clearly and concisely in both verbal and written form.
- Excellent personal communication and presentation skills.
- Fluent English, other languages are an advantage.
- Post-graduate in economics, mining engineering, environmental sciences, development studies or other related field; PhD an advantage.
- At least 5 years of mining-‐relevant experience.
- Highly developed analytical and quantitative skills.
- Track record of successful project management and team experience.
- Established record of publication and/or editorial performance.
- Articulate in English – written and spoken at first language level; other languages a bonus × Travel: willing to do occasional international travel.
- Nationality/work status: qualify to work in Switzerland.
Work Environment and Location
This position offers the opportunity of international exposure in afast-‐paced learning environment, while contributing to the conceptual and practical understanding of responsible mining practice.The research team is located in the Geneva area, Switzerland.
How to Apply
A cover letter, resume, sample of analytical writing and reference contact information are required to be considered for this position. Pre-‐employment background checks are a standard procedure. Send your application including a CV, motivational letter and writing sample (in one PDF file) addressed to email@example.com. Receipt of application will be confirmed.Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for further interviews.
Deadline for applications: 31 October 2018.
Responsible Mining Foundation, Rue Saint Jean 4, 1260 Nyon, Switzerland