Job Title: Researcher and Project Assistant
Employer: Levin Sources
Location: Cambridge, UK
Remuneration: £20,000 - £25,000 DOE
Reporting to: Senior Manager
Closing Date: 27 July 2018
Levin Sources seeks a proactive and highly organised junior Researcher and Project Assistant with an interest and experience in research, industry standards, human rights and/or environmental issues in mining and mineral supply chains, corporate social responsibility and/or sustainability.
The role is based across Levin Sources’ business areas, supporting staff and associates to perform optimally.
Project topics are highly varied and can range from:
- Supporting luxury brands to improve their responsible sourcing practices
- Carrying out risk assessments and supply chain due diligence for mineral exporters, refiners, smelters, and brands.
- Environmental profit & loss accounting
- Innovating better business models for mining in Africa, in ways that deliver more positive impacts for local communities and nations, including artisanal and small-scale miners
- Helping industry associations introduce ‘better business’ practices to their members
- Working with governments to help SMEs source minerals from conflict-affected and high-risk areas responsibly
- Dealing with illegal mining in protected areas
- Helping responsible minerals initiatives tackle barriers to getting product to market
The individual will share our vision and values, thrive in a collaborative, fast-paced environment, and help us drive greater impact for our clients. As a small and dynamic company, this role has promising career progressions with increasing responsibilities on projects, including international travel.
Research and Technical
Carrying out research activities. These may include:
- Plan and develop research methodologies, including uploading into digital platforms
- Literature reviews and desk research
- Process, analyse and present data
- Write up research findings in a format suitable for engaging and educating the audience
- Translation and interpretation support to technical and field teams
Supporting Senior Staff
Support our team with tasks that may include:
- Minuting client and partner meetings to support project planning and delivery
- Carrying out various tasks associated with supply chain due diligence, risk management, reporting for clients
- Helping more senior team members carry out capacity building for clients and beneficiaries, e.g. webinars, workshops, training sessions
- Supporting the design and implementation of monitoring and evaluation systems for clients and for Levin Sources’ own impact work
Sales and Business Development
- Create, adjust and implement project templates, tools and resources for use by team for increasing efficiency and effectiveness in the pursuit of new and repeat business
- Continuously review and improve the templates, tools and resources
- Provide support to sales leads (e.g. contracting, minuting meetings, drafting proposals, etc.)
Project Management and Analysis
- Support to senior management
- Support with administration and implementation of client projects and carry out project management processes.
- Support on implementation of internal projects
- Assist with finalising outputs (reports, presentations, news reports, and other documents) typically for publication and/or presentation to clients or stakeholders. Including but not limited to desktop publishing, creating diagrams and checking them for adequate referencing, proofreading, and writing executive summaries. In collaboration with the marketing and communications specialist, craft communications around the release of reports and other pertinent information where requested.
Required Experience and Qualifications
- Undergraduate Degree in a field relevant to Levin Sources work (e.g. Economics, Law, Engineering, Mining Engineering, International Development, Human Rights, Geography, Anthropology, Political Science, Conservation, Business Studies, etc.)
- Excellent research and analysis abilities
- The ability to demonstrate an equivalent level of knowledge and 1-3 years research experience working in a professional, results-orientated work environment
- Professional experience in corporate sustainability, international development or management consulting would be an advantage. Strong Interest in social and environmental issues associated with emerging markets and supply chain management
Relevant Technical Experience
- Proven experience in processing, analysing, and presenting qualitative and quantitative data
- Presenting research findings in a format suitable for the audience (verbal or written)
- Experience working in African, Latin American, Asian, European, Middle Eastern country contexts
- Experience working in mineral sectors (mining, processing, trading, recycling, logistics) and/or mineral markets (luxury jewellery, fashion, automotive, construction and green economy)
- Preferred fluency or good professional competency in French Additional Languages an advantage (esp. Portuguese, Spanish, Arabic, Mandarin, Kiswahili, etc.)
- An understanding of programme/project planning, management and monitoring & evaluation; including: coordinating bids, planning budgets, and coordinating teams
- Excellent computer skills: Microsoft Office (particularly Excel), CRM, etc.
- GIS and SQL skills desired
- Fluency in oral and written English
- Value-driven with a passion for people, planet, and the conviction to push and enable commercial actors and their regulators to drive meaningful social change
- Passion for driving social transformation through business
- Works collaboratively, builds cohesion, and can perform well individually or within a team
- Connects with colleagues and clients of varied nationalities, specialisms, backgrounds, and commercial contexts
- Strong presentation and communication skills
- Ability to swiftly understand, organize, and communicate complex technical information even in areas initially unfamiliar
- An exceptional ability to communicate clearly and persuasively through the written and spoken word
- Attention to detail
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment, dealing with a varied workload and meeting tight deadlines
- Can-do attitude with a willingness to backstop and enable other team members and multi-task
- Determined, hardworking, and organised Innovative problem solver, confident to take the initiative
Download Job Description
Download Application Form
Applications should be emailed to email@example.com with the subject 'Researcher and Project Assistant'
Interested applicants should provide a completed application form, CV, and short (up to 1000 words) writing/research sample.
We cannot support working visa applications, so you must have permission to work in the UK when you apply.
If you have not heard back from us within 14 days of the closing date, please assume that your application has not been successful.