Job Title: Researcher and Project Manager
Employer: Levin Sources
Location: Cambridge, UK
Remuneration: £25,000 - £32,000 DOE
Reporting to: Senior Manager
Closing Date: 27 July 2018
Levin Sources seeks a dynamic, creative and highly organised Researcher and Project Manager with interest and experience in the design, implementation and evaluation of client projects.
The role is based across both Levin Sources’ business areas - good governance and better business - and may involve international travel.
Examples of projects you may work on
- Carrying out research to assess the characteristics of and trends in artisanal and small-scale (ASM) mining sectors and operations in a country or region for a variety of clients and purposes ex. socio-economic (human rights, income distribution, working conditions) and environmental impact (mining in protected areas, environmental profit and loss accounting) policy, legal and regulatory frameworks, institutional structure and capacity etc.
- Working with country and regional governments to build capacity and support the improvement of their policies, strategies, regulations and institutions in order to manage and mitigate negative social, economic and environmental impacts of their minerals sector, especially in ASM and recycling
- Reviewing and revising normative international standards and best practice documents
- Supporting programme design, monitoring and evaluation, including measuring and reporting on the impacts of an initiative or responsible minerals scheme
- Innovating better business models for mining in Africa, in ways that deliver more positive impacts for local communities and nations, including artisanal and small-scale miners (ASM). This includes working with mining companies, mineral exporters, and smelters/refiners/gem manufacturers to pioneer new ways of having impact through private sector activities
- Improving responsible sourcing by mineral exporters, refiners, smelters, and brands (Inc. risk assessments, supply chain due diligence, sustainability)
- Working with governments and industry associations to support SMEs do responsible sourcing of minerals from conflict-affected and high-risk areas
- Helping responsible minerals initiatives tackle barriers to getting product to market
Responsibilities will vary over time as Levin Sources responds to demand from a dynamic group of clients and other stakeholders.
The individual will share our vision and values, thrive in a collaborative, fast-paced environment, and help us drive greater impact for our clients. As a small and dynamic company, this role has promising career progressions with increasing responsibilities on projects, including international travel, management of teams, and eventually leading project design and delivery with senior oversight.
Project Management, Research and Technical
- Lead or support the design, implementation, evaluation and reporting for technical work on client projects. This may include but is not limited to desk and field research, assurance, advisory, capacity building, monitoring & evaluation work.
- Lead or support with administration and implementation of client and research projects and carry out project management processes.
- Plan and develop research methodologies, including using mobile data collection software
- Process, analyse and present data.
- Write up research findings in a format suitable for engaging and educating the audience.
- Translation and interpretation support to technical and field teams.
- Provide any assistance to any senior manager or business area manager(s) that may be necessary to support the manager(s) in his/her/their functions, especially in relation to client and associate relationship management, project implementation, technical work, and oversight of researchers and project assistants.
- In collaboration with the marketing and communications specialist, assist with finalising outputs (reports, presentations, news reports, and other documents) typically for publication and/or presentation to clients or stakeholders. Craft communications around the release of reports and other pertinent information where requested.
Sales & Business Development
- Project manage the sales process for different business areas.
- Work with Division and Business Area Managers to develop relevant new business including identifying project opportunities, planning future work, writing proposals, preparing budgets and designing projects for profitability.
- Work with the Division and Business Area Managers to increase sales, especially securing work from corporate clients, multilateral agencies, governments, and compliance-focused institutions.
- Create, implement and continuously improve project processes, tools and resources for increasing efficiency and effectiveness in the pursuit of new and repeat business.
- Contribute to marketing & communications for the business area, working with Managers and Marketing and Communications Specialist Represent Levin Sources at international, national and sectoral fora and initiatives to advance the company’s impact agenda and commercial interests, including public speaking, participation in expert working groups, and suchlike.
Required Experience and Qualifications
- Master’s degree in a field relevant to Levin Sources work (e.g. Economics, Law, Engineering, Mining Engineering or Mineral Processing, International Trade and Development, Human Rights, Geography, Anthropology, Political Science, Conservation, Business Studies, Supply Chain Management, etc.)
- Relevant Undergraduate degree with ability to demonstrate an equivalent level of knowledge and 3-5 years’ experience working in a professional, results-orientated work environment, including professional experience in:
- Artisanal and Small-scale Mining, Auditing, Compliance, Mining, Exploration, Stakeholder engagement, Jewellery, SME Start-Ups, Corporate sustainability, International development, or Management.Excellent research, analysis and writing skills
- Proven experience in managing projects.
- Excellent computer skills: Microsoft Office, (particularly Excel), CRM, etc.
- Fluency in oral and written English.
- Fluency or good professional competency in French Additional Languages an advantage, esp. Portuguese, Spanish, Arabic, Mandarin, Kiswahili.
Desired Technical Experience
- A detailed understanding of programme/project planning including: Monitoring & evaluation, coordinating bids, planning budgets, and coordinating teams
- Experience working in African, Latin American, Asian, European, Middle Eastern country contexts, particularly with governments and businesses
- Experience working in mineral sectors (mining, processing, trading, recycling, logistics) and/or mineral markets (luxury jewellery, fashion, automotive, construction and green economy)
- Processing, analysing, and presenting qualitative and quantitative research
- A demonstrable understanding of research ethics
- An eye for detail: editorial and quality review
- GIS and SQL skills
- Value-driven with a passion for people, planet, and the conviction to push and enable commercial actors and their regulators to drive meaningful social change
- Passion for driving social transformation through good governance and better business
- Strong Interest in social and environmental issues associated with emerging markets and supply chain management
- Works collaboratively, builds cohesion, and can perform well individually or within a team
- Connects with colleagues and clients of varied nationalities, specialisms, backgrounds, and commercial contexts
- Ability to present research findings in a format suitable for the audience (verbal or written)
- Aptitude for public speaking with strong presentation and communication skills
- Ability to swiftly understand, organize, and communicate complex technical information even in areas initially unfamiliar
- Attention to detail
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment, dealing with a varied workload and meeting tight deadlines
- Can-do attitude with a willingness to backstop and enable other team members and multi-task
- Ability to deliver with limited guidance/supervision
- Determined, hardworking, and organised
- Innovative problem solver, confident to take the initiative
Download Job Description
Download Application Form
Applications should be emailed to email@example.com with the subject 'Researcher and Project Manager'
Interested applicants should provide a completed application form, CV, and short (up to 1000 words) writing/research sample.
We cannot support working visa applications, so you must have permission to work in the UK when you apply.
If you have not heard back from us within 14 days of the closing date, please assume that your application has not been successful.