sharing in governance of extractive industries
The state of Mining Communities in Ghana such as Obuasi, Tarkwa and Prestea do not match up with the soaring revenue generated and the precious minerals extracted on their lands. The towns are earmarked with dilapidated roads and other essential social amenities. Roads especially within and outside most mining communities in Ghana are very perilous and risky to ply by vehicles of all kind.
The bad nature of these roads and other poor amenities in the mining communities keep most people wondering how such communities are poor despite their precious treasures. Whiles many people blame mining companies for the rot, others pile the blames on government. This article explains the roles of government and the mining companies in the development of mining communities in Ghana.
Ghana benefits from mining in various ways. The obvious benefit to all Ghanaians is the payments of taxes and royalties to government. Mining also provides quality and high paying jobs directly to Ghanaians. In 2017, Ghanaians constituted about 98.5% of the workforce of the mining industry. The rest of the 1.5% were expatriates. Apart from individual benefits employees enjoy, workers also pay huge amount of income tax to the government.
Mining companies train and give capacity to Ghanaian youth, who often transfer their skills into other sectors of the economy. Ghanaian companies also get various opportunities to supply inputs and services to mining companies. On the average the mining industry spends about 40% its revenue on local purchases.
With funding from their trust funds and foundations, mining companies continue to make social investments in host communities that have enhanced the quality of education, access to electricity, portable water and access to health care.
Read more through the link shown https://jungleminer.com/poor-development-in-ghana-mining-communitie...
Add a Comment