sharing in governance of extractive industries
Shape the agenda on global resources, political risk & corporate responsibility
Candidate sought for important senior role helping to grow an advisory firm providing analysis to the world’s leading natural resource companies on political risk, sustainability and stakeholder issues.
Critical Resource is a fast-growing boutique advisory firm specialising in political risk, sustainability and stakeholder issues facing natural resource investments around the world. Our clients include some of the world's largest companies. Our proprietary methodology, LicenseSecure™, creates competitive advantage for clients and provides them with a clearer definition - and a highly responsible approach - to these issues. Our small core team brings together experience working for major resource firms, The Economist, McKinsey, and the Royal Institute of International Affairs, among other organisations. The senior advisory panel for LicenseSecure comprises Professor Paul Collier, Lord Browne and Bill Emmott. More background is at: www.c-resource.com. Established in 2006, we are now looking to recruit a senior associate/associate director in response to client demand and growing global interest in our work.
Role: senior associate/associate director
This senior position will involve working closely with Critical Resource’s director, Daniel Litvin. We are looking for someone who, after a period of immersion in our work and learning about our approach, will be able to:
The exact nature of the role will depend on the experience of the successful candidate. The right candidate will have the opportunity to help drive and share in the future success of the business – as well as influence on-the-ground outcomes on a globally-important set of issues. The work will be challenging and engaging, and require both business sense and intellectual rigour.
What we are looking for
This position will suit a candidate with at least 5 years of strong professional experience, and preferably more. The ideal candidate will have past experience in a directly relevant field: e.g., management of socio-political or sustainability issues for resource companies (at operational or group level), or political risk or strategy consulting in this area. However, impressive candidates with 5 years plus experience in less directly-related fields (e.g., think tanks / academia, international development, general strategy consulting, civil service, NGOs, law, journalism) are encouraged to apply provided they have experience of the issues in which we specialise and also have a strong appetite and ability to get up to speed rapidly.
In terms of requirements, we are looking for a candidate who is:
- Strong analytical skills; ability to quickly grasp complex issues and structure analyses
- Equivalent of at least 2:1 degree from leading university (preferably with a masters or above)
- Excellent writing ability in English;
- Strong communication skills – for example, ability to present complex ideas to clients clearly and credibly
- Strong listening skills – for example, ability to swiftly grasp what is required for a project, and to incorporate input from multiple experts
- Self-motivation and drive – someone who sets high standards in their own work. It will also help to be fascinated by the issues we advise on and excited to contribute to Critical Resource’s growth.
- General diligence, attention to detail and a strong work ethic
- High ethical integrity, commitment to client work and confidentiality
- Professional approach, reliability and ability to meet tight deadlines
- A practical, entrepreneurial approach
- Ability to lead, motivate and manage small teams & deliver projects successfully, under tight deadlines
- Ability to build strong client or stakeholder relationships
- Good IT skills, including familiarity with PowerPoint & Excel
- At least 5 years strong professional experience – see above
Location: Central London. Some international travel will be involved. Applicants must be legally eligible to work in the UK.
Terms: Attractive financial package, comprising competitive base salary plus highly attractive bonus linked to personal and company performance. Initially for 1-year contract (renewable). Potential for equity options long term, providing significant incentives.
Start date: As soon as possible provided a suitable candidate can be found.
To apply: Please send a short (max 1 page) cover letter explaining how your skills and experience would fit this role, accompanied by a CV, in confidence to:
Deadline: Applications should be sent as soon as possible and by 17th June 2013 at the latest. We will be reviewing applications as they arrive, and may fill the role before the deadline if the right candidate is found.
Add a Comment