sharing in governance of extractive industries
The Chief of Staff in the Office of the President Dr. Richard Konteh who also doubles as the Champion for the Sierra Leone Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative on Monday 17th February 2014 signs a Memorandum of Understanding with the Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) who was represented by the Project Director, Kristain Lempa.
The signing which took place at State House is geared towards formalizing GIZ support to the implementation of SLEITI 2014-2015 work plan. This cooperation focuses on four specific areas:
1.) Human Resource Development of Key SLEITI:
· Conduct capacity building training for reporting entities including National Revenue Authority, Ministry of Mines and Mineral Resources, National Minerals Agency, Precious Mineral Trading, Environmental Protection Agency, Petroleum Directorate, Local Councils, Chiefdoms Administrations, Mining Oil & Gas companies.
· Undertake three trainings on oversight, scrutiny and reporting with the Parliamentary Committee on Mines and Mineral Resources.
2.) Organizational Development of SLEITI
· Implementation of Reconciler’s recommendations, including the creation of SLEITI database.
· Conduct a scoping study of all SLEITI sectors.
. Make SLEITI website functional and interactive.
3.) Strategy and Policy Development
· Review Management & Functional Review of key revenue generating institutions in government.
· Commission issue based compliance researches on (A) financial flows from mining companies; and (b) strengthening the governance of extractives in Sierra Leone.
4.) Network Development
· Conduct mobilization meetings with the private sector to increase involvement and contribution to the SLEITI process.
· Establish an EITI dialogue forum at provincial level for review of activities and implementation plans.
· Launch & disseminate 2011 EITI Report through town hall meetings in all districts and
GIZ has been working with the SLEITI upon requests received to support the construction of SLEITI Website and the launching of the 2011 Reconciliation Report. For the 1st year of implementing the 2014/2015 workplan they have committed a total of up to 200,000 EUR (Two Hundred Thousand Euros).
Add a Comment