London based | £25,000 - 30,000 per annum
Kumi is an exciting, specialist, sustainability consultancy. Kumi’s focus is on responsible sourcing within mineral, agricultural and textile supply chains.
We are a commercially-focused consultancy, motivated by the belief that responsible businesses are among the most important drivers of poverty alleviation and sustainable social and economic development in the world’s poorest countries. Kumi’s services help clients to understand social and environmental risks, evaluate progress and improve their performance. We believe sustainable commercial success goes hand in glove with responsible business practices.
Kumi may be a young business, but we are already having big impacts and delivering exciting, challenging work on a global scale for major international clients. We are now looking for a smart, intellectually curious recent graduate who is motivated by Kumi’s mission to join the business as an Analyst.
This is a unique opportunity to join an innovative, entrepreneurial consultancy that is still at an early stage of growth. As an Analyst you will be delivering research and analysis on key topics relevant to the business, to support both project work for clients and broader business development activities:
- You will be given responsibility for carrying out research and analysis in Kumi’s areas of specialism to support the delivery of consulting services to clients.
- You will develop and apply tools and methodologies to collect, analyse and present qualitative and quantitative information.
- You will be given responsibility for developing communications, social media and website content to help build Kumi’s brand and voice in the market and online.
- You will cultivate a deep understanding of the sectors in which Kumi works, developing knowledge and expertise around the challenges and opportunities associated with responsible business practices and environmental and social sustainability.
- You will support the Managing Director and other staff with broader business management tasks and activities as required.
As your experience and capabilities grow, you will have the opportunity to become increasingly involved in new and ongoing consulting projects and develop your career within our growing business.
To succeed in this role you must be:
- Analytical and intellectually curious – willing and able to immerse yourself in technical detail then apply that knowledge to Kumi’s work.
- Empathetic – with the ability to put yourself in another’s shoes and understand different perspectives and viewpoints.
- Rational – someone who objectively considers facts and evidence before drawing conclusions or making decisions.
- Passionate but also pragmatic – you must be enthused by Kumi’s mission and the corporate sustainability and international development agenda more broadly, but also realistic about what it takes to drive change.
- An excellent communicator, both written and orally.
- An energetic self-starter with a positive, can-do attitude, able to work independently with minimum supervision.
- Willing to embrace a diversity of tasks and learn with the opportunity to increasingly take on more responsibilities as you prove your competencies and the business grows.
- Highly organised, you prioritise effectively and enjoy working under pressure in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Committed to quality and with excellent attention to detail – you will be someone who takes pride in their work.
- Willing to travel overseas, including to remote locations in developing countries, should the requirement arise.
You will be someone who places a high value on acting with honesty and integrity in everything that you do. You will be culturally sensitive and enjoy working with people who may have different backgrounds or beliefs to yourself.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Recent graduate with a bachelor’s degree and, preferably, a post-graduate level degree in a field relevant to Kumi’s work (or the ability to demonstrate an equivalent level of knowledge and research experience).
- Proven experience in delivering qualitative and quantitative research and analysis and summarising information to present findings.
- High level of computer literacy in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint) and a proven ability to use Excel to analyse and summarise complex data.
- Experience of working in a professional, results-orientated work environment. Ideally this will include some experience in corporate sustainability, international development or management consulting.
- Experience using social media. Previous experience of developing online content such as articles, blogs and other communication pieces would be an advantage.
- Understanding of and a strong personal interest in social and environmental issues associated with the sourcing of commodities and/or the operations of businesses in emerging markets.
- Language skills, particularly French or Mandarin, would be an advantage.
WHAT KUMI OFFERS
You will have the opportunity to play a pivotal role in the growth and development of the business, developing your career as Kumi grows. You will be part of creating a business with a mission; your ideas will be sought and valued and you will have the opportunity to see them shape the services that are provided to clients or how the business operates. Working under the supervision of highly experienced colleagues, you will gain exposure to a variety of tasks that enable you to develop professionally in a way that is simply not possible in larger firms.
It is Kumi’s aim to be the employer of choice in our field.
- We believe that the quality of the work you deliver is more important than the hours in which you are at work or, indeed, where you work. We also recognise the importance of a work-life balance. At Kumi we have thrown away the 9-to-5 rulebook – whilst you will be based at our London office, you will also be able to work flexibly should you wish.
- We have also thrown away the holiday leave rulebook and, at management’s discretion, offer unlimited annual leave over and above the statutory entitlement. You will be expected to be committed to your work, but also to take time off to recharge!
- We recognise the importance of a good workplace environment. Kumi is based in a modern, inspiring central London office with excellent amenities and the creative buzz of being surrounding by other entrepreneurs and small businesses.
This is role is envisaged as a full-time, permanent position.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are interested in being considered for this role, please send your CV and a concise cover letter to email@example.com with the email subject heading: “Analyst application”.
In your cover letter, please include the following information:
- Why you are applying for the role at Kumi.
- What you believe to be the key attributes and expertise that you would bring to the role and the team.
- A concise description (max. 300 words) of what you believe may be key factors that drive businesses to adopt responsible sourcing practices in their supply chains.
- Confirmation that you are eligible to live and work in the UK.
Please note that your cover letter is an important part of your application and applications that do not include the above information will not be considered.
The deadline for applications is 31 August 2018. If you have not had a response by 17 September 2018 please assume your application has not been successful.
Shortlisted applicants will be invited to complete a written assessment exercise, then those that proceed from this stage will be invited to interview.
Kumi cannot support visa applications or geographical relocation, we can only accept applications from those with the necessary permits and ability to work in the UK.