A weekly digest of activity on GOXI
As the number of people directly engaged in artisanal and small-scale mining (ASM) passes 40 million, according to their new report, the Intergovernmental Forum (IGF) and the International Institute for Environment and Development (IIED) give a roadmap towards a more responsible and inclusive ASM sector.
An excerpt from the report goes deeper into six factors for successful ASM formalization.
Mining is huge for Mongolia. But mining comes at an environmental cost. In this interview with Bolormaa Purevjav, Jasmin Blessing and Sarah Daitch explore how participatory environmental monitoring in Mongolia works.
Another risk that comes with the extractive industries is corruption. Marius Cool take a broad look at developments in ending corruption in the sector.
On the bright side, the extractives sector can also be a powerful lever for development, so remember to join the webinar on Wednesday, January 31 mapping the oil and gas industry to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
These and more jobs, blogs, photos, videos, and discussions on GOXI
- Mudenda Chipenzi; Metallurgist - Ministry of Mines; Lusaka, Zambia
- Jeremy Ginifer; Senior Lecturer - UEA; Norwich, United Kingdom
- Sue Stott; TI Australia Support - Transparency International Australia; Victoria, Australia
- Matthew Bliss; Deputy Director - IGF; Ottawa, Canada
- Crystal Kotowski-Edmunds; Research Assistant - One Earth Future; Denver, CO, United States
- EITI Ethiopia; EEITI Secretariat - EITI; Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- Javier Falcon; Engineer - Lima, Peru
- Mandy Sayannyambuu; MASc mining engineering - Vancouver, Canada
- Jennifer Graham; Associate, Land Tenure & Property Rights - Tetra Tech ARD; Washington, DC, United States
- Patricia I. Vasquez; Natural Resource Consultant - Washington, DC, United States
- Roberto Romagnoli Muedra; Asistente en Comercio Exterior - Concepcion Sustentable. Transparencia Comunitaria; Concepcion, Tucum, Argentina
- Deborah; Lecturer - Cornwall, United Kingdom
- Pablo Lumerman; Director - ACCESS Facility; Cipolletti, Argentina
- Rue Swabey; Analyst - Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
- Megan Blythin; Student - Conwy, United Kingdom
- Explosive growth in artisanal and small-scale mining amid rising prices: IGF Study - IGF Secretariat - Read
- Six key factors for successful ASM formalization - IGF Secretariat - Read
- Extractives sector corruption: What we have learned - GOXI - Read
- Interview with Bolormaa Purevjav: How is participatory environmental monitoring organized in Mongolia? - Jasmin Blessing - Read
- New horizons in ending corruption in the extractive sectors - Marius Cool - Read
- Extractives and development @INDABA: "What gets reported gets done! Can local content reporting replace legislation?" - Extractives and Development - Read
- Ellen de Keyser; Practical Training in Resettlement and Livelihood Restoration (in French) - deadline to benefit from the early bird rate; Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire; January 31, 2018 - RSVP
- IGF; The Hidden Cost of Tax Incentives: A Special Side Event at Indaba; Cape Town, South Africa; February 5, 2018 - RSVP
- IGF; IGF Sustainability Round Tables on Local Content Policy at Indaba; Cape Town, South Africa; February 5, 2018 - RSVP
- Janne Kaiser-Tedesco; GIZ@INDABA: "What gets reported gets done! Can local content reporting replace legislation?"; Cape Town, South Africa; February 6, 2018 - RSVP
- Cognition; ITRI International Tin Conference 2018; Budapest; April 23 - 25, 2018 - RSVP
Remember: Post a job as a blog and we'll do the rest
- National Project Coordinator, Mining for Sustainable Development - Transparency International - Apply
- Fundraising Coordinator, Mining for Sustainable Development - Transparency International Australia - Apply
- Head of Programme, Mining for Sustainable Development - Transparency International Australia - Apply
- Analyst - RCS Global - Apply
- Senior Analyst/ Project Manager - Dragon Fly Initiative - Apply
|Featured member - Vanessa Ushie
Vanessa Ushie oversees the Policy Analysis Division at the African Natural Resources Centre (ANRC) of the African Development Bank Group, leading the Centre's analytical and knowledge management functions. ANRC engages in knowledge building and policy advisory within the Bank, and to regional member countries (RMCs), for sustainable use of natural resources to drive structural transformation. ANRC, which covers seven renewable and non-renewable natural resources (oil, gas, minerals, fisheries, forestry, land, and water), works with a broad range of policy actors in government, the private sector, civil society, think-tanks, donor agencies, and multilateral organizations to promote sustainable natural resource management policies and practices in Africa.
(Information on featured members and organizations is based on content shared by members or publicly available information, sometimes edited for language and brevity, and should not be considered an endorsement by GOXI of any member's skills or experience.)
See who else is on GOXI
|Beyond GOXI: Books, news, papers and reports
- As global economy hums, Davos turns bullish on commodities - Bloomberg - Read
- Chinalco sees tenfold surge in profits - Reuters - Read
- Oil, gas professionals express optimism for 2018 challenges - Oil&Gas Journal - Read
- Qatar LNG booms despite embargo - Oil Price - Read