A weekly digest of activity on GOXI
The first in a series of guidance documents by IGF aims to help governments manage artisanal and small-scale mining.
Are you from Angola, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Rwanda, or Zimbabwe? Consider applying for sponsorship to the Southern Africa Regional Training Workshop on Environment, Community, Health and Safety of Development Minerals.
Thomas Frederiksen shares his paper that explores and compares the political effects of corporate social responsibility in the mining sector in Zambia, Ghana and Peru.
And as Ghana's new government takes charge, Justice Adoboe shares a stoon how the administration plans to move ahead in its maritime dispute with Ivory Coast.
These and more jobs, blogs, photos, videos, and discussions.
- Nnamdi Anene; Principal Geologist - Ministry of Mines and Steel Development; Abuja, Nigeria
- Uday Vir Singh; Manager - PWC; Abu Dhabi; United Arab Emiratea
- Jason Stewart; Coordinator of Social Learning and Engagement; Vancouver, Canada
- Diyanchi Szczap; PhD student - University of Warsaw; Warsaw, Poland
- Marius Cool; Researcher - Walden University; Brooklyn, NY, United States
- Gilbert Makore; Team Leader - Pact; Harare, Zimbabwe
- IGF Secretariat; International Secretariat - Intergovernmental Forum on Mining, Minerals, Metals and Sustainable Development (IGF); Ottawa, Canada
- Tias van Moorsl; Senior Consultant, Development Economist - Steward Redqueen; Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Paul Jourdan; Adjunct Professor (Wits), Project Manager (MEMSA), Board Chair (CDC), IDZ Co. Chair (GGDA) - Wits University, MEMSA, GGDA, Coega Dev. Corp. (CDC); Johannesburg, South Africa
- Maggie Gabos; Research Coordinator - The Trade Foundation; Alameda, CA, United States
- Victor Correia; President - European Federation of Geologists; Brussels, Belgium
- Gail Kyle; HR Consultant - Natural Resource Governance Institute; London, United Kingdom
- Tehtena; Legal Researcher - CCSI; New York, United States
- Melanie Wallace; Policy Analyst, Sustainable Development and International Affairs - PDAC; Toronto, Canada
- Désiré Nikiema; Consultant - Ouagadougou; Burkina Faso
- Sean Cornelissen; Research and Special Projects Officer - CSR Counsellor's Office; Ottawa, Canada
- Kate Kopschk; Mediator, Facilitator - Salt Lake City, UT, United States
- Gabriel Guggisberg; Student - Columbia University; New York, United States
- B.C.; Phd lawyer - Università degli studi di Milano; Mila, Italy
- Valentina Pelosi; Events Coordinator - UNDP; Brussels, Belgium
- Kamran Ahmed; Resource & Recruitment Executive - Oxford Policy Management; Oxford, United Kingdom
- Alexis Giroulet; Student - Columbia University; New York, United States
- Maya Wedemeyer; Student (MPH) - New York, United States
- Jingjing He; Assistant Professor - Chinese Academy of Social Sciences; Beijing, China
- Daan Boom; Knowledge Sharing, Communication, Change Manager - CCLFI; Metro Manila, Philippines
- Ana Sarmiento; Program Analyst - Better Sourcing Program; London, United Kingdom
- ACP-EU Development Minerals Programme; UNDP; Brussels, Belgium
- Request for training applications: Southern African regional workshop on environment, community, health and safety - Daniel Franks - Read
- Ghana’s new government to maintain technical team for maritime dispute case with Ivory Coast - Justice Adoboe - Read
- Possible gas shortage to send Ghana back into dark days-energy think tank warns - Justice Adoboe - Read
- Roundup: Businesses benefit as Ghana energy crisis subdues - Justice Adoboe - Read
- IGF releases guidance to help governments manage artisanal and small-scale mining - Mira Oberman - Read
- East Africa Extractive Industries Program Advisor - Katherine Stanley - Read
- Free working paper on mining, CSR and politics out now! - Thomas Frederiksen - Read
- Farid Guliyev;IERES GW Elliott School Talk: Feb 6: The Decline of Public Education in Azerbaijan: Petrodollars, Wealth Concentration, Rent-Seeking; Washington DC, United States; February 6, 2017 - RSVP
- IGF; IGF Presents the INDABA 2017 Sustainability Round Tables; Indaba, Cape Town, South Africa; February 7, 2017 - RSVP
- CCSI, NRGI, WB and SDG Academy; MOOC Course-Natural Resources for Sustainable Development: The Fundamentals of Oil, Gas and Mining Governance; Online; February 13 - May 15, 2017 - RSVP
- Miho Taka; Commonwealth Professional Fellowship on Improving Natural Resource Governance through Citizen Engagement; Coventry University, London, United Kingdom; March 23 - April 21, 2017 - RSVP
- CCSI, NRGI, WB and SDG Academy; MOOC Course-Natural Resources for Sustainable Development: The Fundamentals of Oil, Gas and Mining Governance; Online - February 13 - May 15, 2017 - RSVP
Remember: GOXIans are everywhere
Remember: Post a job as a blog and we'll do the rest
- Chief Financial Officer - NRGI, NY - Apply
- Capacity Development Program Assistant - NRGI, London - Apply
- Expert de la Santé - Artisanal Gold Council, Mali and Senegal - Apply
- Coordinador Nacional del Proyecto - Artisanal Gold Council, Lima - Apply
- GOXI Online Community Development Support and Conflict Prevention Consultant - GOXI - Apply
- Value Chain Analysis of Gemstones and Gold in Afghanistan - UNDP Afghanistan - Apply
|Featured member - Logan Wade Nagel
Logan Wade Nagel is a student at the University of Arizona pursuing a Master's in Urban Planning alongside a concurrent second B.S. degree in Geoscience. He has three overlapping areas of focus:
-The development of resource extraction-oriented communities, such as mining towns, and the growth of post-extraction industries such as tourism
-City growth in extreme environments, whether physical (deserts; Arctic; etc) or political (such as high-crime or unstable areas)
-Illicit networks that transect or highlight urban-rural boundaries, including the Mexican drug trade, wildlife black market, and illegal resource extraction operations such as mining or logging.
Within his Geoscience degree, Nagel is focusing on economic geology, and he has a passion for colored gemstones and collector-quality mineral specimens.
Nagel has a previous B.A. degree in Conflict and Development from the University of Illinois. He was most recently employed by J.P. Morgan as a Multifamily Investment Analyst focusing on LIHTC investments of up to ~$52 million around the country.
(Information on featured members and organizations is based on content shared by members or publicly available information, sometimes edited for language and brevity, and should not be considered an endorsement by GOXI of any member's skills or experience.)
See who else is on GOXI
|Beyond GOXI: Books, news, papers and reports